What is an airdrop?
An airdrop is a distribution of a NFT / cryptocurrency token or coins, usually for free or as a special promotion to build awareness but it can be unsolicited to numerous wallet addresses or simply your wallet address.
How is that dangerous?
It can be from a hacker who is trying to gain access to your wallet. So even if it is coming from someone you know be sure that they are not being hacked…
How does it work? The individual gets you to sign for the airdrop and sometimes it is like a worm which gains access to you wallet. Same for fake coins like I once a coin with a famous person’s name which I never purchased appear. I would not use it because it looked fishy.
Here are some things you can look out for…
- If they ask for your private key to your wallet. ( NEVER share your private key )
- Do not sign for it. If it appears on the hidden section of your account do not sign to accept it and unhide it.
- Did the account which generated the airdrop have any purchases prior to?
- Is the account on the blockchain and does it have any bad reviews?
- Sometimes the airdrop orwhitelist form is only trying to get your information so they can sell it
Dr. Jatali Bellanton
Accredited Investor / Philanthropist / Public Speaker
I am booking for speaking engagements, interviews, podcasts, workshops, 1 on 1 zoom sessions and keynotes. No group is too small or large. Reach out if you would like to find out more.